About the Centre
The work in the WHO Collaborating Centre for Evidence-Based Health Promotion in Hospitals & Health Services (from here on referred to as WHO CC) follows the principles of WHO regarding Health Promotion (HP). The Centre aims at basing Health Promotion on the evidence platform in the same way as any other clinical interventions - according to its Terms of Reference with the WHO.
The WHO CC relates to the work of WHO and of other WHO CCs by collaborating closely with all regional offices, the many nations, regions and individual members of the International Network of Health Promoting Hospitals & Health Services (HPH Network) etc.
The WHO CC:
- Supports WHO’s efforts towards implementation of HP strategies aimed at patients, staff and community.
- Supports the development, implementation and follow up of HP strategies, standards for quality management of HP, documentation and registration of clinical HP and related reimbursement, clinical guidelines, education programs and research.
- Provides clinical health services research regarding models for systematic documentation, registration and monitoring of HP activities to reduce inequity in health.
- Has documentary output including scientific papers, text books and reports, interactive website and facilities, list of teaching activities, publications, evaluations including a public clinical quality database on the effect of smoking cessation, annual progress reports, direct evaluation of teaching and training as well as fulfilment of regional research goals.
- Creates new evidence and facilitates exchange of knowledge and dissemination of evidence-based HP and best practice.
- Ensures continuity of the work by written procedures and work plans, collaboration with other national and international partners (Hospital Managements, Ministries of Health etc.), HPH Governance Board, HPH General Assembly, National/Regional Networks and HPH Members, WHO CCs, and by competent staff and leadership
- Performs Summer, Autumn and Winter Schools as well as pre- and postgraduate teaching and training in evidence-based HP.
All the above mentioned points facilitate implementation and access to Health Promotion, disease prevention and rehabilitation, which are fundamental means to achieve equity in health. The activities of the WHO CC are grouped into four main areas:
- International HPH Network
- Smoking Cessation Database (SCDB)
- Clinical Health Promotion Journal